Australia live updates: Melbourne Covid restrictions expected to ease as Victoria records one new coronavirus case








Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley is to stand down

Nathan Buckley is to stand down as Collingwood coach midway through the AFL season as the club continues its large scale structural reform.

A press conference has been called for 11am at which Buckley is expected to confirm his exit, having told the club’s football department and playing staff earlier this morning.

Buckley’s last game in charge is expected to be against Melbourne at the SCG on the Queen’s birthday on Monday.

Buckley, who has been in charge of the Pies since taking over from Mick Malthouse in 2012, becomes the second of Collingwood’s major figureheads to leave the club this year, following the departure of former president Eddie McGuire.

It brings to an end months of speculation about his future, following a disappointing start to the season which has seen his side win just three games from 12 outings. The Pies currently sit 16th on the ladder.

It is unclear who will take over the job on an interim basis, but he counts his assistants as Brenton Sanderson, Robert Harvey, Hayden Skipworth and Damian Carroll.















Updated








Updated








Updated








Updated








The Victorian truth and justice commission, the Yoo-rrook Justice Commission has named Dunghutti man Josh Smith as its inaugural CEO.

The Yoo-rrook Justice Commission, announced in March, is preparing to conduct an inquiry into the ongoing effects of violent dispossession and genocide as part of the process to get to Treaty in Victoria. Commissioners have already been named.

Smith is a career public servant — his previous roles include the deputy secretary of Aboriginal justice at the Victorian Department of Justice and Community.

The announcement of his appointment said Smith would “assist the commissioners in helping them to achieve the commission’s objectives, including those related to truth-telling, educating the wider public and making recommendations for structural reform”.

He starts on 21 June.

Updated








Updated















Potential new Covid-19 restrictions for Melbourne

Victoria’s acting premier, James Merlino, is expected to give a press conference mid-morning announcing that the lockdown in Melbourne will lift from midnight on Thursday.

The Victorian government has not confirmed any of the conditions which will apply post-lockdown, and says it did not provide them.

But it is not refuting reports in the Herald Sun which suggest that the post-lockdown conditions will include:

  • A 25km travel limit for people in greater Melbourne to prevent people travelling to regional areas for the Queen’s Birthday long weekend.
  • Students returning to the classroom as early as Friday.
  • Outdoor gatherings limited to 10 people.
  • Cafes and restaurants limited to 50 customers.
  • Visitors to the home still banned.
  • Gyms to remain closed.
  • Mandatory face masks indoors.
  • Density limits in offices.

Again, these are not confirmed rules — but they appear pretty likely. It’s not clear yet how long they will remain in place. Some may be lifted after the long weekend.

We’ll bring you all the official details once the announcement is made in a few hours.








Updated








Just one new Covid-19 case in Victoria








NSW government announces $100m in new mouse plague rebates

Updated



Source by [author_name]

Share this article:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *